• Insurance for your mobile catering business

    Mobile catering includes so many different types of food and venues – from food vendors selling burgers, street food, sandwiches or candyfloss, to mobile event caterers offering hog roasts or barbecue. Mobile caterers for weddings, sporting, corporate and private events are more in demand these days as people look for more affordable event catering options. Whatever food you’re serving from your mobile catering van or food kiosk, you need to have insurance. Your van or truck is your business and livelihood, and if anything happens to either that prevents you working (and earning), that could severely damage your finances.

    There are risks involved when you run a catering business and these are multiplied when you operate a mobile catering business. Vehicle accidents, damage to equipment and food poisoning are just some of the things that could go wrong and lead to financial losses and reputational damage. That’s why it’s important to have the right insurance in place to protect yourself and your business.

    What sort of Mobile Catering Business Insurance might you need?

    Just like many other types of business, if you own a mobile catering van, there are several types of insurance that could benefit you:

    • Public liability insurance for catering vans: protects your business from claims of property damage or personal injury caused by negligence. This could include claims from customers, and members of the public, for example, if a customer slips and falls on spilled food, or if they become ill after eating your food.
    • Product liability insurance for catering vans: protects your business from claims of injury or illness caused by the food you serve, such as an allergic reaction to a food ingredient or food poisoning.
    • Vehicle insurance for catering vans: you will need commercial vehicle insurance if you drive your mobile catering van to cater at events. All businesses that operate commercial vehicles in the UK must have this type of insurance. It will cover your vehicle in the event of an accident, theft or vandalism. We recommend comprehensive cover, which can also cover your van’s fixtures and fittings.
    • Employer’s liability insurance: required for all businesses in the UK that have employees to protect you from financial losses if an employee is injured or becomes ill as a result of their work.
    • Business property insurance: should your catering van/kiosk suffer a fire, theft or other event specifically listed on your policy, this covers your business property, such as your cooking appliances and tools or your stock.
    • Loss of stock insurance: covers the cost of replacing stock that is lost or damaged due to theft, spoilage or other events.

    As you can see, there are a few options for you to choose from and each catering van owner’s needs are different. We’d recommend getting in touch to tell us more about your particular business and how and where you cater, and then we can guide you towards the most suitable options for you.

    Why is insurance important for your mobile catering van business?

    Like many other businesses, taking out the right insurance will help you safeguard your van or truck, your finances, equipment and your reputation. Because food stuffs are the backbone of your business, you are exposed to a number of risks that could lead to financial losses.

    Importantly, insurance can give catering van business owners peace of mind. Knowing that you have insurance in place can help you to focus on running your business without having to worry about the financial consequences of an unexpected event.

    Why choose Acer Insurance for your mobile catering van business?

    We are an independent insurance broker with over 15 years’ experience. We know where to find the best deals and cover for all varieties of mobile catering businesses. We’re friendly, professional and keep things simple – we won’t offer you insurance that’s not right for you and your business. And we provide a first-class service.

    What type of mobile catering vans do we cover?

    We cover all manner and type of catering vans. If you are mobile and sell food (hot or cold) from your van or truck, we can insure you.

    How can you reduce the cost of your mobile catering business insurance?

    There are steps you can take to reduce the cost of your mobile catering business insurance. Here are a few tips:

    • Shop around: don’t accept the first quote you see. Gathering quotes can be a lengthy job, so ask us to do it for you. We are insurance brokers and shop around and compare quotes from multiple insurance companies for you. This will save you a heap of time and get you the best value for money.
    • Health and safety: keep hold of your health and safety documentation and records. Make sure your risk assessments are up to date with current standards.
    • Security: just like insuring a car, you can take advantage of discounts for things like having a security system on your catering van or having somewhere secure to keep it overnight.
    • Excess: increasing your excess can be a good way to lower your insurance cost, just make sure that it won’t cause you greater financial difficulty if you need to make a claim.

    What happens if I need to make a claim?

    We are here to help. If anything happens to your mobile catering van or kiosk, let us know as soon as possible so we can get the claims process started, or at least let you know what you need to do next.

    For professional advice and all the insurance you will need for your mobile catering business, call us today on 01959 528435 to get an instant quote or fill in your details here and we’ll get back to you.