• Specialist Chauffeur Insurance

    It is common knowledge that to drive a car in the UK, standard motor insurance is legally required for all vehicles. However, if you are carrying paying passengers you will need specialist insurance which is tailored to the type of cover you need – and this depends on your business.

    What’s the difference between a taxi driver and a chauffeur?

    Although there are some similarities between the roles of a chauffeur and a taxi driver, a chauffeur typically provides a luxury transportation service, driving a high-end vehicle for clients who want a more personalised and comfortable experience. Chauffeurs often must meet certain dress code and etiquette standards, whereas a taxi driver generally offers a less formal type service.

    Do I need specific insurance to be a chauffeur?

    To drive any passenger as a service, you always require some form of private hire insurance. For chauffeurs, there is a specialist type of policy.

    The main difference between chauffeur insurance and standard private hire vehicle insurance is that chauffeurs are also expected to look after the well-being of their passengers with more structured codes of ethics and a service catered to the comfort of their passengers, rather than simply short ad hoc journeys to be undertaken promptly with no frills.

    Chauffeur insurance takes this into consideration by offering protection for a high-end luxury vehicle and your and your passenger’s health. It is specifically designed to protect you against any risks you may face as a professional driver, whether you are at fault or not.

    Do I need to buy liability insurance?

    As a chauffeur driver, you should also have Liability Protection. This will cover your damages and legal costs if you are found to be responsible for an accident, injury, or property damage. It is not a legal requirement, but it will protect you financially.

    Some contracts that are linked to the local council contracts or schools, do require this public liability insurance. Some policies do include this cover so it’s always wise to check your policy.

    What do I need to do to register myself as a Chauffeur?

    To become a chauffeur in the UK, you’ll need to get a PCO licence (also called a private hire vehicle drivers licence). This is the same type of licence used by taxi drivers and private hire vehicle operators.

    To do this the first step is to register your car as a private hire taxi. You will need to find out who your local licencing authority is as each has it’s own eligibility criteria such as the age of the vehicle, your age and experiences. You can find your local licencing authority on the following website https://www.gov.uk/find-local-council

    It is likely they will need to complete a background check on you with an enhanced criminal record check conducted by the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).

    Once you are confident that you meet the eligibility criteria, alongside registering your car, you will also need to apply for a licence or badge for yourself and your vehicle, if you don’t already have one.

    You will need to provide certain documentation such as proof of your identity, proof of your right to work in the UK, evidence of your vehicle’s insurance, registration documents and MOT certificate.  You may also need to provide evidence of your vehicle’s suitability for use as a chauffeur service.

    The process of registering your car and obtaining your badge for the first time can be complex so it is vital that you do your initial research and fully understand what is required by the local licencing authority.

    Depending on where you will be operating your services, some local authorities may require additional training or knowledge of the local area. It is important to check with your local authority to ensure you meet all requirements and seek professional help if needed.

    Once you have applied, and your local authority has acceptance of your application, they will issue a personal licence, normally in the form of a ‘badge’, an operator’s licence and a vehicle licence. You will need to add a ‘plate’ to your vehicle and display your licence to show you are adequately licenced by your local council to undertake the work you are carrying out.

    Is  Chauffeur Insurance more expensive than Private Hire Insurance?

    Yes it can be but it is important to remember that you should not conduct chauffeur services without value chauffeur insurance as you run the risk of not being covered for the expensive repair costs for any high-end luxury vehicles if you only have standard private hire insurance.

    How long does it take to get a quote?

    Depending on the complexity of your insurance needs, we can usually provide a quote in as little as a few hours. From there, the process is simple and cover can be issued as soon as your instructions are received.

    Does my Chauffeur Insurance cover me for personal use?

    All Acer’s chauffeur policies offer social and domestic cover as standard which will cover your vehicle for personal use and gives you the convenience of one policy covering your personal and business needs.

    Do you compare chauffeur insurance prices?

    Yes, we understand when running a busy company you don’t have the time to shop around for your insurance – we go to most of the major taxi insurers so you don’t have to.

    What happens if I need to make a claim?

    The first notification of an incident should be made to us. We’ll get the claims process rolling and help you every step of the way.

    Why choose Acer for my chauffeur insurance?

    To make sure you have the right cover for your business, it is important to speak to a reliable insurance provider who specialises in arranging chauffeur insurance.

    At Acer, we have over 15 years’ experience in providing specialist insurance to businesses across the UK. We are an independent broker and are proud of our friendly, professional service so you can be confident that you will always get the right cover for your business.

    Call 01959 528435 for an immediate quotation or leave your details below and one of our expert insurance brokers will call you back.